Friday, June 24, 2011

These Past Few Days

Well, we've been here in Misstisini, Quebec since Tuesday and have been having a very nice time.  I last updated you when we were halfway here on Monday night.  Tuesday we got up, had a nice breakfast at the hotel after which Matt and I headed down the street to the Wal-mart.  We needed to have the car looked at.  We knew there was something either wrong with the balancing of the tires or the brakes or something.  So we went to see if the automotive department could squeeze us in right away.  But there was one problem - the auto guy only spoke about three words in English ("yes", "no", and "car") and Matt's French is quite rusty.  So it was interesting watching the two of them attempt to communicate what needed to be done.  But, after a few minutes of us all laughing and filling out some paperwork (which in and of itself was quite the task!) the guy took our van right away and we walked off to walk around while we waited.  I told Matt I sure hope he communicated "rotate and balance" correctly and didn't accidentally say we wanted a new paint job or something!  Ha!

So, we waited for about 45 minutes and the car was done and the balancing and rotating of the tires had been done.  So all was well.  We then headed out to travel the final 5 hours to Misstissini.  We did have to stop in Chibougamou which is a town about 45 minutes from Misstissini to get our groceries for the week, and then we went to our final destination. 

Our accommodations are very nice here.  We are all staying in a newly built apartment.  It has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a nice kitchen, washer and dryer, and is fully furnished.  It is working our perfectly and we are very comfortable here.  The kids are having a great time running around and playing, coloring and watching videos, and of course, eating.  We only have one slight problem.  The fist light of day appears here at around 4:15 a.m.  EARLY!  And all the windows only have blinds on the windows, so by 5 a.m. our rooms are as bright as it is at noon, and the first two mornings the kids were wide awake too!  Wow, is that early! Libby is the first one up.  But thankfully, this morning, she "slept in" until about 6:45.  But boy is that wearing us out!  I tried to hang up some trash bags on the blinds, but that didn't work out too well. 

The meetings are going well.  Matt speaks each morning at a Bible study which starts at 6:45 am - before people head off to work.  Then each night at 7p.m. my father-in-law speaks for the revival services.  Oh, and by the way, when we say that it starts at 7, in Cree time that really means around 8 pm or a little later.  The lifestyle is quite laid back here, and so you just learn that nothing starts on time, and if you are an hour late, you are actually a little early!  Its okay for a little while, but I do think it would drive me nuts if I lived like that all the time!

Matt was able to do one of his favorite things yesterday - go fishing.  He and one of the men from the church, Gordon, went out on a boat for a few hours and fished.  And what was supposed to be just a few hours turned into a 7 1/2 hour trip.  You see, Gordon has a nice boat and such, but he forgot a little thing called GAS in the engine.  So a few hours into the trip, when they were ready to head back, they ran out of gas!  It really is funny to hear them talk about it.  He also forgot his cell phone and the boat didn't have any paddles in it!  So, for three hours they drifted, and tried to "paddle" with sticks they found.  Finally, after praying for help, a boat of some Frenchmen came by and were kind enough to give them a can of gas.  And so they made it home.  I had been here waiting for Matt to come home so we could go to the meetings.  He  got home around 8, rushed to change clothes, and then we headed out to the services.  But we weren't worried. We got there at 8:30 which ended up being right on time!  Ha!

Oh, and by the way, they did catch 5 good sized fish which we are headed out soon to go and eat for supper.  Yes, all you who know me and know that I do not like seafood of any kind.  That is what we are having for supper.  But, they know that I don't care for it, and I warned them that my sense of smell is rather picky these days, so I *hopefully* won't have to eat any!  Haha!  But I won't be rude if they give it to me!  I promise!

So that is briefly what we have been up to.  Its been a nice, relaxing time here.  There is no TV, no radio, our cell phones don't work here, so we have nothing to do during the day but read, sleep, and just enjoy being together.  Its great!  I have been feeling pretty good - except for being tired.  But I am able to take a couple naps a day, so that is wonderful!

I trust all is well with everyone there.  I am taking lots of pictures, but forgot the cord that connects to the computer, so you will just have to wait until we get home to see them.  Sorry!  Have a wonderful day, to all reading this!

Until next time...

No comments: